Assistant Trainer & Explosive Detection Dog Handler
|Salary:||£32,500 / year|
|Location:||National Remit - home-based|
|Region:||South East England|
|Vacancy Group:||Dog Handling|
Assisting with the training of dog-handling teams and working ‘hands-on’ with specialist dogs to provide a high-profile deterrent to unwanted intruders, anti-social behaviours and criminal activity in varied environments.
In this dual role, you will spend around half your time working closely with our Senior Trainer to deliver training and support to new dog-handling teams. An experienced security professional, you will provide advice, guidance and mentoring on all aspects of patrolling, searching and canine security procedures. You will also assist in the selection and training of new dogs and training dogs for future projects.
When not assisting with training, you will respond to requests for dog and handler searches, carry out high-profile, pro-active canine patrols, provide specialist advice where appropriate and promote security procedures. You will work closely with our clients to ensure service provision meets targets, completing deployment reports and communicating any issues to your manager. You will also identify any security risks and report these to the client. You will also need to respond to call outs if required.
With the facilities and ability to kennel one dog at your home address, you will be responsible for its care and control, including off duty care and housing. You will ensure the provision of the dog’s feeding, grooming, medical and welfare needs in compliance with animal welfare legislation. You will also be responsible for transporting yourself and your dog to deployments, supervising and controlling the dog in compliance with legislation and BS8517, and the evaluation and reporting of your dog’s performance.
An SIA Door Supervisor (DS) licence is essential, and to succeed in this role you will also need:
• Significant experience of working with dogs in a public-facing, operational environment- essential
• Relevant Instructor Qualifications in training General Purpose Patrol Dogs, Drugs Detection Dogs and Explosive Detection Dogs - essential
• Qualification as an Explosive Search Dog Handler to NPCC, HABC Level 4, or military equivalent - desirable
• Excellent communication skills - both verbal and written
• Full UK driving Licence
• Five years checkable history
• Ability to pass required criminality checks
• Right to work in the UK.
Vehicle, dog and kennel are supplied.
In order to apply for this vacancy, you must be able to supply the required answers to the following questions:
- Can you provide original evidence of your right to work within the UK?
- Do you have a valid Door Supervisor (DS) or Security Guarding (SG) SIA licence?
- Do you have a current, valid driving licence?